BAF follows an inclusive and participatory grantmaking process that supports collaborations and initiatives to strengthen the agroecology movement and promote sustainable food systems.
Steps involved in BAF’s grantmaking process
- Executive Committee (EC) and Advisory Board (AB) identify strategic priorities and focus areas
- BAF team creates timelines and guidelines
- Advisors and BAF members scout and nominate collaboratives and initiatives
- BAF team complies a docket for evaluation
- Advisors shortlist nominations for the final round
- Selected nominations requested for full proposal
- BAF team compiles a docket for evaluation
- Advisors recommend shortlisted proposals to EC for review
- Consultation with funders on the recommended list
- EC/AB recommends the final list to PMU
- PMU conducts due diligence
- PMU releases funds
- BAF team tracks for spend and implementation status
- Monitoring Evaluation and Learning phase is characterised by regular meetings with grantees
- Cross-learning events
HOW WE WORK
The Executive Committee is the apex governing body for BAF. The BAF Executive Committee is comprised of two advisors, two donors, one representative from the Project Management Unit (PMU), and two grantees. Grantees serving the Executive Committee do not participate in grant recommendation and related matters. The Executive Committee supports staff in their day-to-day operations and decides on strategies and other matters related to grants. The Executive Committee is responsible for conflict resolution and has the authority to make decisions on various matters regarding BAF’s operations.
The Advisory Board is an independent group comprised of eight advisors and is the main decision-making body for the grantmaking process. They also support designing grantmaking strategies, deciding on thematic priority areas, etc. One advisor from India also serves on the global Agroecology Fund’s advisory board.
The Bharatiya Vikas Trust (BVT) is BAF’s Project Management Unit, responsible for matters including legal compliance and due diligence.